Friday, January 14, 2011

Let it rain

It’s strange that even thinking about water starts to make you thirsty. It was 4.30am and I was parched.
In the last few days I have come to realise how severe the water restrictions are on both Taro and Sipuzae Islands. Most household rainwater tanks are close to being empty and how much water is in your rainwater tank is the prominent topic of discussion whenever I walk about.
It’s got to the point where the provincial government and hospital now shut at midday so that staff can go across to the main island and get water from the river.  I think I am ok for the present time, but if it doesn’t rain within a week I think even I will be in a bit of trouble (hopefully not to the extent that I have to drink my own urine). There have even been reports of water ‘theft’ from some rainwater tanks, although I suspect that in Melanesian society resources are viewed as largely communal and those with resources share with those that have a little bit less.
Waking up this morning I was thinking how do I ensure that the one tank that I have lasts until it rains, I could possibly put a lock on the tap from the tank that is easily accessible to all, but then do I just become the tight arse whose not willing to share resources with the community.
From what I have been told the constant winds that we currently have are contributing to no rain falling on either Island and although I appreciate being nice and cool due to the constant breeze (this house has a tendency to get very warm due to not having power for fans or air-conditioning and also being set back a little from the coast), its quickly getting to the point where stress in the community from not having access to adequate drinking water is going to increase substantially.    
              

No comments:

Post a Comment